Kansas Honey Producers Association is a not-for-profit IRC 501(c)5 agricultural-educational organization..
It’s time for KHPA members to get a fresh look to your newsletter. Cheryl Burkhead will be new editor for 2021.
Your association’s new editor will have artistic license to alter the newsletter format as deemed necessary and utilize newsletter software options. Following is a brief description of the position:
The position of Editor is voluntary, not compensated, and is open to any member of the organization. Editor is not an officer nor has a vote on Executive Committee matters.
Proficient use of a personal computer and software for compiling a newsletter is a must. (Microsoft Publisher is the current soft-ware used. The new editor can opt to use software of his/her choice to produce the newsletter.)
The ability to email large numbers of newsletters at a time (We recommend splitting the lists by alphabet and keep the groups small (less than 75) so they do not show up as a mass email ‘spam’ to the recipient’s email filters.
The newsletter is published quarterly, so it does not require a large amount of ongoing time input.
Current time frame for release of issues is per quarter year:
1st quarter– promote the spring KHPA conference;
2nd quarter- to promote the KHPA booth and entries at Kansas State Fair;
3rd quarter- to promote the fall KHPA conference;
Fourth quarter to wrap the year up.
The release month dates can be altered as deemed necessary, but the Executive Committee wishes to make certain Cappings promotes these special events as well as possible.
Contact KHPA officers to obtain reports to place into the newsletter.
Search for news items on a state, regional, national, etc. level that may be of interest to KHPA members.
An email list is sent by Treasurer each quarter so newsletters can be sent out by email, saving KHPA printing and postage expenses.
Printed copies are mailed out to those who request a paper copy. Currently, Northeast Ks. Beekeepers Association volunteers theuse of their printer for this purpose.
Board Meeting Minutes
The business meeting occurs the night before the public event. It is composed of the officers, and is open to the public but the public may not partake in the meeting. Please talk to one of the officers prior to the meeting, if you have any issue that you would like to be discussed. Below are the minutes for the prior business meetings.
2022 - Spring Fall (pending submission & approval)
2021 - Spring Fall
2020 - Spring Fall
General Business Meeting Minutes
The general meeting occurs during the public event. This is a time to discuss things going on in the group along with things you may like the group to do. Minutes for the general meeting are below.
2022 - Spring Fall (pending)
2021 - Spring Fall (pending)
2020 - Spring Fall* (n/a)
2019 - Spring (n/a) Fall
2018 - EOY 2018
2017 - EOY 2017
2016 - EOY 2016
2019 - Budget
2018 - Budget
2017 - Budget
2016 - Budget
Advertising rates were set at our Executive Business meeting in the Spring of 2017. Please contact our editor, if you'd like to advertise in the KHPA newsletter. Commercial ads will be 1/8 page $10, 1/4 page $20, 1/2 page $35 per issue. It was moved and accepted to use these rates.
© All rights reserved by Kansas Honey Producers Association.
The Honey Bee - the official State Insect of Kansas since 1976.
To have a newsletter delivered by e-mail or USPS, please join and support the association.
We encourage article and photo subscriptions from our members. Please send what you'd like to share about your association events, articles. All honeybee-related topics will be considered. We regret that we may not always be able to include every submission but we'll do our best! Please submit to our Editor, Cheryl Burkhead (email), for consideration.
Kansas Honey Producers Association (KHPA) - Links to Videos (Meetings, Minutes, & more...)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have had to hold executive and impromptu or other meetings via Zoom. We understand the need for support and education for beekeepers and want to provide meetings and classes; we need to ensure the health of us all, which helps ensure the health of our bees. Thank you for your patience.
Title (Link). Date. Duration. Details.
1. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom. 26 Apr 2020. 0.42:44 General board meeting.
2. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom. 07 Jun 2020. 0.37:05. General board meeting.
3. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom. 05 Jul 2020. 1:11.37. General board meeting- Aux.
4. Honey Extraction Technique. 05 Aug 2020. 0:06:43. Kristi Sanderson-presentation.
5. Preparing Ross Rounds - Comb Honey. 05 Aug 2020. 0:11:13. Kristi Sanderson-presentation.
6. Rendering Beeswax. 05 Aug 2020. 0:08:18. Kristi Sanderson-presentation.
7. KHPA Committee re Fall Meeting via Zoom 09 Aug 2020. 0:55:44. Committee board meeting.
8. Kellie Honey Farm LLC Jim Kellie Honey Extraction 13 Oct 2020. 0:11:13. Jim Kellie's Presentation
9. Dr. Marion Ellis Comb Honey Production 19 Oct 2020. 0:36:23. Marion Ellis' Presentation
10. Nikki Bowman Honey Extraction Demo 21 Oct 2020. 0:07:36. Nikki Bowman's Presentation
11. Steve & Becky Tipton Honey Extraction 23 Oct 2020. 0:07:19. Tipton's Presentation
12. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom 22 Oct 2020. 1:31:48. General Board meeting.
13. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom 05 Mar 2021 2:09:15. General Board meeting.
14. KHPA 2021 Spring Meeting via Zoom 06 Mar 2021 3:15:11. General meeting.
15. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom. 25 Apr 2021 - (recording unavailable)
16. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom 07 Oct 2021 1:39:10 General Board meeting.
17. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom 04 Nov 2021 - (recording unavailable).
18. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom 16 Jan 2022 (pending edit and upload).
19. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom 03 Mar 2022 2:29:14 General Board meeting.
21. KHPA Teaching Apiary Bd Meeting via Zoom 10 Mar 2022. 1:00:41 Special Board meeting.
20. KHPA Executive Bd Meeting via Zoom 03 Nov 2022 (pending future meeting)
Kansas Honey Producers Association (KHPA) - Links to Videos for Value-Added Series (special)
"Extracting More $$$ From Your Hives"
Title (Link). Date. Duration.
1. KHPA Value-Added - Batik w/ Megan Vetter 15 Apr 2021 1.22:04
2. KHPA Value-Added - Comb Honey Production 20 May 2021 1.05:08
with Cecil Sweeney & Kristi Sanderson...
3. KHPA Value-Added - Collecting and Using Pollen & Propolis 17 June 2021 0.54:14
with Petra Ahnert
4. KHPA Value-Added - Making Creamed Honey & Making Infused Honey 15 July 2021 1:08:20
Brian Withrow & Chad Gilliland.
5. KHPA Value-Added - Apitherapy, The Medicine Chest Known as the 19 August 2021 1:35:38
Bee Hive, Reyah Carlson
6. Cold Process Soap Making, Lotion & Lib Balm, Becky Tipton 16 September 2021 0:58:42
7. Making Liquid Soap, Robin Kolterman 21 October 2021 0:46:29
8. Beeswax - Cleaning and Candle-making, Ginger & Gary Reuter 18 November 2021 1:07:33
9. Holiday Gift Quickies-Kristi Sanderson, Joli Winer, Jo Patrick, Becky Tipton 16 December 2021 0:48:00
10 Making & Selling Nucleus Colonies, Kristi Sanderson 20 January 2022 1:00:30
11. Queen Rearing, Cheryl Burkhead. 17 February 2022 1:12:36
12. Selling at Markets & Fairs, Stephanie Donaldson 17 March 2022 0:56:43
13. Mentoring & Concierge Beekeeping, Nikki Bowman 21 April 2022 1:01:20
14. Brewing Beer with Honey, Jason Elder 19 May 2022 0:43:07
15. Making Mead, Jay Francis 16 June 2022 1:13:52
16. Taking Care of Your Honey, Joli Winer 23 July 2022 0:49:26
17. Certified Kitchen & Legal Labels (pending) 18 August 2022
August 2022 & Beyond - pending updated topics....as-of 23 July 2022
Upcoming Programs For Getting More $$
from your Hives:
• August 18- When do you need a certified kitchen? What to do to get one
and Legal Labels- weights and measures- Maybe a longer meeting to
include getting product development help from Kstate?
• September 15 - Collecting Pollen and Propolis - Making products with
them- Rich Weiske from Michigan presents
• October 20-Healthier with honey- Kombucha, Elderberry syrup and jellies
• November 17-TBA
• December 15-Beeswax Wraps, Honey Butter, Honey Caramels,
• January 19 2023-Dipped Candles, Beeswax Starters
• February 16- Queen Rearing & making and Selling Nucs
The Cappings Newsletter
The Cappings is our official quarterly newsletter publication, which is included as a membership benefit in digital or hardcopy format. The newsletter is disseminated to association members across the state of Kansas. The email edition is in color, and can contain hyper-links to web pages. The print version is in black-and-white.
Send news about your bees and your experiences, as well as any corrections, letters, comments, photographs, story suggestions, interviews, and additional requests via email to Editor, Cheryl Burkhead.
2009 - Fall